RPolitics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RPolitics

Rule your own country! Make your own mark on the world! Govern your nation, interact with other claimants and roleplay your characters - the choices are endless!

You are not connected. Please login or register

[MODPOST] FAQ

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1[MODPOST] FAQ Empty [MODPOST] FAQ Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Press Cntrl+F to skip to a section... or scroll down.

• Use of cookies
  • Login and Registration Issues
  • User Preferences and settings
  • Posting Issues
  • Formatting and Topic Types
  • User Levels and Groups
  • Private Messaging
  • Legal

Use of cookies

About Cookies

A cookie is a text file containing a limited amount of information, which is downloaded on the user computer when she/he is surfing on a website. It allows the forum to recognize the user during next visits to offer them optimal browsing experience.
A Cookie acts as a string of information that a website stores on a user's computer, and that the user's browser provides to the website each time the user submits a query to the website

RPolitics uses Cookies. The goal of a cookies is to identify the user as an user of the website. Cookies permit to personalize the advertising content available.
By browsing a RPolitics forum, you agree with the use of third-party services that may set up cookies on your browser. You have the option to object to the filing of advertising cookies on your computer. If you choose this option, you will continue to see ads but these are not targeted to your interests centers.
The forums use some web analytics tools to allow administrators to better understand the behavior of their users. These tools may use cookies to collect anonymous information and generate reports on forum statistics without users be identified personally.

All popular websites use cookies. Facebook, Google, Twitter, Youtube, even Reddit. This website uses similar cookies to Reddit. If you don't want to see ads at all, use AdBlock.

Cookies management

Storage of cookies allows the user to fully enjoy the services offered on the forums. However, it is up to the User to determine if she/he authorized their use. The User agrees to be warned that blocking all types of cookies affects the good use of forums and services.

Settings of the browser

Most of browsers let you manage Cookies individually. The help menu, included on each browser, describes how to refuse cookies for all websites, except websites you trust. Further information about cookies manage are available on the each browser.

Login and Registration Issues

Why can't I login?

Have you registered? Seriously, you must register in order to log in. Have you been banned from the board? (A message will be displayed if you have.) If so, you should contact the webmaster or board administrator to find out why. If you have registered and are not banned and you still cannot log in then check and double-check your username and password. Usually this is the problem; if not, contact the board administrator -- they may have incorrect configuration settings for the board. If all else fails, message the moderators.

Why do I get logged off automatically?

If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you log in, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university cluster, etc.

How do I prevent my username from appearing in the online user listings?

In your profile you will find an option Hide your online status; if you switch this on you'll only appear to board administrators or to yourself. You will be counted as a hidden user.

I've lost my password!

Don't panic! While your password cannot be retrieved it can be reset. To do this go to the login page and click I've forgotten my password. Follow the instructions and you should be back online in no time.

I registered but cannot log in!

First check that you are entering the correct username and password. If they are okay then one of two things may have happened: if COPPA support is enabled and you clicked the I am under 13 years old link while registering then you will have to follow the instructions you received. If this is not the case then maybe your account needs activating. RPolitics will require all new registrations be activated, either by yourself or by the administrator before you can log on. When you registered it would have told you whether activation was required. If you were sent an e-mail then follow the instructions; if you did not receive the e-mail then check that your e-mail address is valid. One reason activation is used is to reduce the possibility of rogue users abusing the board anonymously. If you are sure the e-mail address you used is valid then try contacting the board administrator.

I registered in the past but cannot log in anymore!

The most likely reasons for this are: you entered an incorrect username or password (check the e-mail you were sent when you first registered) or the administrator has deleted your account for some reason. If it is the latter case then perhaps you did not post anything? It is usual for boards to periodically remove users who have not posted anything, or have been inactive for literally years so as to reduce the size of the database. Try registering again and get involved in discussions.

User Preferences and settings

How do I change my settings?

All your settings (if you are registered) are stored in the database. To alter them click the Profile link (generally shown at the top of pages but this may not be the case). This will allow you to change all your settings.

The times are not correct!

The times are correct; however, what you may be seeing are times displayed in a different timezone. RPolitics runs on UTC +0. You can change your timezone settings in your profile.

I changed the timezone and the time is still wrong!

If you are sure you have set the timezone correctly and the time is still different, the most likely answer is daylight savings time (or summer time as it is known in the UK and other places). The board is not designed to handle the changeovers between standard and daylight time so during summer months the time may be an hour different from the real local time.

How do I show an image below my username?

Please read this post.

How do I change my rank?

RPolitics uses ranks to indicate the number of posts you have made and to identify certain users. For example, moderators and administrators may have a special rank. Please do not abuse the board by posting unnecessarily just to increase your rank -- you will probably find the moderator or administrator will simply lower your post count.

When I click the e-mail link for a user it asks me to log in.

Sorry, but only registered users can send e-mails. And even then, they can only send them to the Administrator at rpolitics@writeme.com. Direct access to email is disabled on this website. This is to prevent malicious use of the e-mail system by anonymous users. The only reason E-mail is required is to prevent alternate accounts form being created.

Posting Issues

How do I post a topic in a forum?

Easy -- click the New Topc button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message, comment, or topic.

How do I edit or delete a post?

Unless you are the board admin or forum moderator you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post (sometimes for only a limited time after it was made) by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic that lists the number of times you edited it. This will only appear if no one has replied; it also will not appear if moderators or administrators edit the post (they should leave a message saying what they altered and why). Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

How do I add a signature to my post?

To add a signature to a post you must first create one; this is done via your profile. Once created you can check the Add Signature box on the posting form to add your signature. You can also add a signature by default to all your posts by checking the appropriate radio box in your profile. You can still prevent a signature being added to individual posts by un-checking the add signature box on the posting form.

How do I create a poll?

Creating a poll is easy -- when you post a new topic (or edit the first post of a topic, if you have permission) you should see a Add Poll form below the main posting box. If you cannot see this then you probably do not have rights to create polls. You should enter a title for the poll and then at least two options -- to set an option type in the poll question and click the Add option button. You can also set a time limit for the poll, 0 being an infinite amount. There will be a limit to the number of options you can list, which is set by the board administrator.

How do I edit or delete a poll?

As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll

Why can't I access a forum?

Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post, etc. you may need special authorization which only the forum moderator and website administrator can grant, so you should contact them. If you are not a moderator, you will not be given access to moderator-only forums on any circumstance.

Why can't I vote in polls?

Only registered users can vote in polls so as to prevent spoofing of results. If you have registered and still cannot vote then you probably do not have appropriate access rights.

Formatting and Topic Types

What is BBCode?

BBCode is a special implementation of HTML. You can disable it on a per post basis from the posting form. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML: tags are enclosed in square braces [ and ] rather than < and > and it offers greater control over what and how something is displayed. For more information on BBCode see the guide which can be accessed from the posting page.

Can I use HTML?

No.

What are Smileys?

Smileys, or Emoticons, are small graphical images which can be used to express some feeling using a short code, e.g. Smile means happy, Sad means sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen via the posting form. Try not to overuse smileys, though.

Can I post Images?

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. Imgur. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

What are Announcements?

Announcements often contain important information and you should read them as soon as possible. Announcements appear at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted. Whether or not you can post an announcement depends on the permissions required, which are set by the administrator.

What are Sticky topics?

Sticky topics appear below any announcements in viewforum and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them where possible. As with announcements the board administrator determines what permissions are required to post sticky topics in each forum.

What are Locked topics?

Locked topics are set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator. You cannot reply to locked topics and any poll contained inside is automatically ended. Topics may be locked for many reasons.

User Levels and Groups

What are Administrators?

There is currently only one Administrator on RPolitics. The Administrator pays for the hosting of the website, the domain name, et cetera. The Administrator also deals with the coding of the website and the implementation of site-wide features such as Avatars, ranks, new sections of the forum, and more. The Administrator has all the powers of a Moderator.

What are Moderators?

Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material. They can ban, kick, and do a whole mess of nasty things if you are naughty.

What are Usergroups?

Usergroups are a way in which board administrators can group users. Each user can belong to several groups (this differs from most other boards) and each group can be assigned individual access rights. This makes it easy for administrators to set up several users as moderators of a forum, or to give them access to a private forum, etc. For example, Moderators have their own moderator usergroup, their own private moderator forum, can send bulk messages to each other, and regular users can send bulk messages to moderators.

How do I join a Usergroup?

To join a usergroup click the usergroup link on the page header (dependent on template design) and you can then view all usergroups. Not all groups are open access -- some are closed and some may even have hidden memberships. If the board is open then you can request to join it by clicking the appropriate button. The user group moderator will need to approve your request; they may ask why you want to join the group. Please do not pester a group moderator if they turn your request down -- they will have their reasons.

How do I become a Usergroup Moderator?

Usergroups are initially created by the board administrator who also assigns a board moderator. If you are interested in creating a usergroup then your first point of contact should be the moderators, so try dropping them a private message.

Private Messaging

I cannot send private messages!

There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the site administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the administrator has prevented you individually from sending messages. If it is the latter case you should try asking the administrator why.

I keep getting unwanted private messages!

You can add the user to your ignore list. If you keep receiving unwanted private messages from someone, inform the board administrator -- they have the power to prevent a user from sending private messages at all.

I have received a spamming or abusive mail from someone on this website!

We are sorry to hear that. The mail form feature of this board includes safeguards to try to track users who send such posts. You should e-mail or private message the moderators with a full copy of the mail you received and it is very important this include the headers (these list details of the user that sent the e-mail). They can then take action.

Legal

Who wrote this bulletin board?

This software (in its unmodified form) is produced, released and is copyrighted phpBB Group. It is made available under the GNU General Public License and may be freely distributed; see link for more details. Significant modifications/deletions/functionalities additions have been done compared to the original script.

Whom do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this website?

For legal matters you should contact the administrator of this site. If you cannot find who that is, you should first contact one of the forum moderators and ask them who you should in turn contact. You can always email the administrator of the website directly at rpolitics@writeme.com. Moderators can and will handle anything else.

https://rpolitics.rpg-board.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum